Couscous is a symbol of North African cuisine consumed all over the world. Adaptable, convenient, and easy to prepare, it’s easy to see why couscous has gained such acceptance. But can you freeze couscous? Keep reading t learn more.
What Is Couscous?
Couscous is a typical North African side dish that consists of tiny balls of durum wheat semolina. So, despite what appearances might suggest, couscous is not a grain but a type of pasta.
Couscous is a versatile food often served with vegetables and meat or used as a substitute for rice and other grains.
Thanks to its simple preparation and neutral taste, couscous offers food lovers the equivalent of a blank canvass to experiment with all types of flavors, from traditional recipes to adventurous new inventions.
Can You Freeze Couscous?
Yes, couscous can be frozen: That’s one of the things that make it so convenient! Once frozen, you can keep your couscous in the freezer for about three to four months.
- Here’s what you need to do to freeze your couscous:
- Allow the couscous to cool down.
- Separate any food you served with your couscous (such as vegetables or meat) from the couscous itself.
- Once cool, spread the couscous on a tray or baking sheet.
- Cover the tray or baking sheet with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- Once the couscous is hard, place it in a freezer bag and leave it in the freezer until you want to consume it.
Naturally, this process applies only to couscous that has already been cooked. No special steps are needed for dry uncooked couscous because it lasts several months in your pantry (provided that the place is cool and dry).
More Delicious Food Facts
At Chef Gourmet, we know good food, and we love sharing that knowledge with you. If we have whetted your appetite for interesting food facts, here are some previous posts you may find interesting:
- What is the best way to cook your vegetables?
- Are onions good for you?
- How to cook Brussels sprouts?
- Chicken cacciatore: everything you need to know
- Which type of basil is best for pesto?
Try Our Amazing Dishes!
Contact us today by telephone (1-888-536-5269), email, or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn more about our menus, our philosophy, and our wide array of services: Corporate Lunch Boxes, Full-Service Catering, Coffee Services, and Gourmet Prepared Meals.