If you are into hearty, with an unmistakable British touch, you are going to love shepherd’s pie. From its origins to some preparation tips, here’s everything you need to know about this delicious dish.
What Is Shepherd’s Pie?
Regardless of the time and place, there’s one thing that doesn’t change: housewives hate to waste food.
British housewives are no exception, and in their quest to rework leftovers from the Sunday roast they came up with an Iconic dish: the Shepherd’s pie.
Shepherd’s pie, also known as cottage pie, consists of minced meat topped with a layer of mashed potatoes. A thrifty, simple, down-to-earth, delicious idea.
Technically, the term “Shepherd’s pie” should be used for the pie made with lamb, while the version made with lamb should be called “Cottage pie.” The truth is that, although purists may disagree, many people use the terms almost interchangeably nowadays.
Talking about names, here’s a fun fact: shepherd’s pie has a French cousin, Hachis Parmentier, which is essentially the same dish with a fancier name.
Making the Perfect Shepherd’s Pie
Planning to make a shepherd’s pie at home? Keep these tips in mind:
- Use a for to create grooves on the layer of mashed potatoes. This will make it crispier once it’s in the oven.
- Add some Worcestershire sauce to ratchet up the flavor of the meat.
- Feel free to experiment by adding beer or red wine to the sauce you make for the meat.
- Be a little stingy with the milk and butter you add to the mashed potatoes. Adding too much may result in a top layer that is too soft and less enjoyable to eat.
More Interesting Food Facts
At Chef Gourmet, we know good food, and we love sharing that knowledge with you. If we have whetted your appetite for interesting food facts, here are some previous posts you may find interesting:
- 4 Reasons to love green beans
- What is tempura?
- 4 Spooky dishes to celebrate Halloween
- What is jasmine rice?
Try Our Delicious Dishes!
Looking for great food this Halloween or any other time of the year? We are located in Ontario, California, with deliveries available for the Greater Los Angeles Area.
Contact us today by telephone (1-888-536-5269), email, or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn more about our menus, our philosophy, and our wide array of services: Corporate Lunch Boxes, Full-Service Catering, Coffee Services, and Gourmet Prepared Meals