In a previous post, we talked about how chicken became a global food. In short, chicken is extremely popular because it’s delicious and can be adapted to almost any culinary taste. But what about cooking chicken? A lot of people ask often at what temperature is chicken done. If you are one of them, keep reading to discover the answer.
The Importance of Cooking Chicken to a Safe Temperature
Before we delve into the ideal temperature to cook chicken, it’s crucial to remember why it’s important to thoroughly cook chicken and other poultry products.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), most raw poultry contains bacteria such as Salmonella and Clostridium perfingens. When you cook chicken to a safe internal temperature, you kill these dangerous agents.
- The safe internal temperature for all poultry (including chicken, naturally) is at least 165 o While this rule is fairly straightforward, there are some facts that you should keep in mind:
- Internal temperature should be measured with a food thermometer; the color of cooked poultry is not a sure sign of its safety.
- Be extra careful when preparing food for infants, older adults, or people with impaired immune systems.
- If you are served undercooked poultry in a restaurant, don’t hesitate to send the dish back to the kitchen for further cooking.
- Refrigerate leftovers no more than two hours after cooking.
Keep in mind that in addition to cooking at a safe temperature, there are other steps you should take when you prepare chicken.
The National Chicken Council has published a handy guide with tips that cover the entire process, from buying chicken at the supermarket (make it the last item you select) to how to store it once it’s cooked (set your refrigerator to 40 oF or below).
More Interesting Food Facts and Tips
At Chef Gourmet we know good food, and part of our mission is sharing that knowledge with you. For example. these are some previous posts packed with interesting culinary facts.
- How to make marinara: 3 delicious tips
- Are potatoes good for you?
- How chicken became a global food
- Why is it important to eat vegetables?
- How Tomatoes Conquered the World
- Soba Noodles: Everything You Need to Know
Our address is 1910 S. Archibald, Unit O, Ontario, California. Contact us today by telephone (1-888-536-5269), email, or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn more about our menus and our wide array of services: Corporate Lunch Boxes, Full-Service Catering, Coffee Services, and Gourmet Prepared Meals.