If you are planning to prepare make-ahead shepherd’s pie, you are probably wondering if you can freeze this hearty dish before cooking it. In today’s post, we offer an answer, along with some useful tips.
Can You Freeze Shepherd’s Pie Before Baking It?
Yes! You can freeze shepherd’s pie before baking it. This way, you can save time by defrosting your oven-ready shepherd’s pie whenever you want to enjoy it.
Here’s what you need to do to freeze your uncooked shepherd’s pie:
- Assemble the pie as you normally would
- Let the pie cool down
- Once the shepherd’s pie is cool, cover it with cling film
- Place the pie in the freezer
- Note: remember to freeze the pie the same day you make it
When you are ready to enjoy your shepherd’s pie, thaw it in the fridge overnight and then bake as usual.
Can You Freeze Leftover Shepherd’s Pie?
Ok, now you know that you can freeze shepherd’s pie before baking it. But what about leftover shepherd’s pie?
You can freeze leftover pie to eat it at a later date, all you have to do is to follow these easy instructions:
- Let the leftover shepherd’s pie cool down until it reaches room temperature
- Cover the leftover pie using cling film or place it in a zip-top bag
- Store in the freezer (if possible, add a label indicating the freezing date)
- When you are ready to eat it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat
For more facts and tips about food, check out our previous blogs, “Are Veggies Protein?” “Plantains vs Bananas: Are They the Same?” and “Sweet Potato vs Potato: Calories, Nutrients, and More”
Chef Gourmet: We Know Good Food
If you love good food, then we have something in common! At Chef Gourmet, we use only fresh ingredients to create delicious dishes inspired by culinary traditions from around the world.
We are located in Ontario, California, with deliveries available for the Greater Los Angeles Area. Get in touch by phone (1-888-536-5269), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.