Today we take a closer look at risotto, one of the signature dishes of Italian cuisine. Keep reading to learn more, from the origins of risotto to some tips to prepare your own!
What Is Risotto?
There are many types of risotto. Saffron risotto is the most iconic variation, but you have also risotto alla marinara (risotto fisherman style), and even risotto all’amatriciana, a blend of risotto and pasta all’amatriciana, a Roman delicacy.
However, at its most basic, risotto is short-grained rice that has been cooked in some kind of broth until the rice becomes creamy.
Italians associate risotto with the cuisine of Milan, the industrial powerhouse of Northern Italy, but the entire country has adopted (and adapted) this versatile dish.
While risotto may not be as wildly popular as pasta, it’s nonetheless deeply embedded in the history of Italy.
In fact, some believe that the evolution of risotto reflects the changes that Italian society has undergone throughout its history, from Giuseppe Verdi’s saffron and truffle risotto to bolder recent experiments such as kiwi risotto.
Some Tips to Make a Great Risotto
As with all things related to cuisine, Italians go to great lengths to create the perfect risotto. These are some of their tips:
- Cook your risotto in a low-sided saucepan. Copper is the preferred material, but iron or aluminum work too.
- For saffron risotto, add dry white wine as the rice cooks and stir until the wine has evaporated.
- Your risotto will be only as good as your broth. Add it slowly (DO NOT use cold broth), so that the rice is always covered.
Satisfy Your Hunger for Interesting Food Facts!
At Chef Gourmet, we know good food, and we love sharing that knowledge with you. If we have whetted your appetite for interesting food facts, here are some previous posts you may find interesting:
- What Is the Difference Between Fruits and Vegetables?
- Turkey vs. chicken: which one is best for you?
- How to make marinara sauce: 3 delicious tips
- How chicken became a global food
- Soba Noodles: Everything You Need to Know
Try Our Delicious Lemon Risotto!
Contact us today by telephone (1-888-536-5269), email, or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn more about our menus, our philosophy, and our wide array of services: Corporate Lunch Boxes, Full-Service Catering, Coffee Services, and Gourmet Prepared Meals.