Fiber is a fundamental component of a balanced diet. So, many asparagus lovers out there may be asking themselves: Is asparagus high in fiber? To discover the answer, follow along and learn other interesting facts about asparagus.
Is Asparagus High in Fiber?
Yes, asparagus is a good source of fiber. One cup (134 g) of raw asparagus provides 2.8 g of dietary fiber, which is equal to 11% of the Daily Value (DV).
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends eating at least 28 g of dietary fiber per day. Consuming the recommended amount of fiber is important because it keeps your gut healthy, lowers cholesterol levels, and helps control blood sugar levels, among other benefits.
Asparagus is a very nutritious food and a smart addition to your diet. In addition to dietary fiber, this vegetable also provides other important nutrients such as:
- Vitamin A: 1013 IU (20% of DV)
- Vitamin C: 7.5 mg (13% of DV)
- Vitamin E: 1.5 mg (8% of DV)
- Vitamin K: 55.7 mcg (70% of DV)
- Thiamin: 0.2 mg (13% of DV)
- Pantothenic acid: 0.4 mg (4% of DV)
- Calcium: 32.2 mg (3% of DV)
- Magnesium: 18.8 mg (5% of DV)
What Are Some Foods High in Fiber?
As you can see, consuming the recommended amount of dietary fiber comes with many health benefits.
Below is a list of some of the most common fiber-rich foods you can find at any supermarket or farmers’ market:
- Apples (110 g provides 6% of the DV of dietary fiber)
- Carrots (110 g provides 12% of the DV of dietary fiber)
- Beets (136 g provides 15% of the DV of dietary fiber)
- Strawberries (152 g provides 12% of the DV of dietary fiber)
- Avocado (150 g provides 40% of the DV of dietary fiber)
- Almonds (143 g provides 70% of the DV of dietary fiber)
- Quinoa, cooked (185 g provides 21% of the DV of dietary fiber)
- Brown rice, long grain, cooked (185 g provides 14% of the DV of dietary fiber)
And if you are interested in learning more about asparagus, be sure to check out our previous blog, “When Is Asparagus in Season?
Chef Gourmet: Great Food From Around the World
At Chef Gourmet, we know good food. We use only fresh ingredients to create delicious dishes inspired by flavors from around the world.
We are located in Ontario, California, with deliveries available for the Greater Los Angeles Area. Get in touch by phone (1-888-536-5269), email (email@example.com), or through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.